Sunday 6 February 2011

Melbourne, I Love You

In 2006 I made the brave (or some would consider stupid) decision to move to Melbourne, Australia. Originally my gap year plan was to move to Canada, but then my brother's wedding got in the way and I changed my plans and off to Oz I went.

The only people I knew who lived in Melbourne were my sister in laws family. I had met my sister in laws parents briefly and was scared about moving to a country I'd never been to before, as well as living with people I barely knew. I needn't have worried. Olivia's family are the most welcoming people I have ever met. The evening I got there I was told, 'You are not a guest, you are part of the family'. This meant as part of the family I got to be fully involved for wedding preparations. In turn this meant I ground walnuts for a week to make cakes.

After a few weeks I began looking for places to move to. I got extremely lucky and found a lovely house in a suburb called Clifton Hill. I also got a job working for a market research company. This was when my trip really got going.

Melbourne is one of the best cities I have ever been to. If you're young, free and single there are a wealth of cool bars and trendy boutiques to visit. There are exhibitions on, free concerts, art galleries, museums. It is like a more compact, dare I say it, better version of London. I have never felt as free as I did when I lived there.

My favourite bar was called Section 8. It was down a side alley in Chinatown, and consisted of a caravan acting as the bar, and crates standing in for chairs. I have never been anywhere like it, and am sure I will never  go anywhere like it again. I recommend it to anyone who visits.

If I was given an opportunity to go and live in Melbourne again, I would in a heartbeat. I really think you can fall in love with a city. I have fallen hook, line and sinker in love with Melbourne.

MELBOURNE, I BLOODY LOVE YA!

No comments:

Post a Comment