Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Beatles

"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream"

The Beatles, arguably one of the biggest bands to have ever existed, with John, Paul, George and Ringo, four of the most famous names in the entire world. 

Each new year a new album by the band gets churned out by their record label, people went crazy for them all over again when their songs were finally released on itunes, but what is their appeal? 

Having been brought up on The Beatles I am a superfan. I live and breathe The Beatles, listen to them at least once a day, read books on them and watch documentaries based on their story. I love them. To me one of the strangest sentences a person can say is, 'I've never really heard The Beatles'. A look of shock registers on my face, and all I want to do is pull out my ipod and shove the headphones in their ears.

The early albums feature a mix of covers, mainly of Motown songs. These would then be combined with songs written by Lennon and McCartney. As the years go on, and with each album, they get their own unique sound, one the world came to love. 

My Dad and Aunty were lucky enough to see the band in the 1960s and my Dad said that even though he was in the first few rows he couldn't hear a thing. This was a combination of tiny amps being used, but mainly the hundreds of screaming girls fainting and crying due to the fact they were in the presence of the band. 

The Beatles have the ability to make me laugh but also make me cry. I think I have only ever got through the entirety of Let It Be once without shedding a tear. They are a unique piece of British musical history. They may be imitated, but to me they will never be bettered.


Here is a photo of The Beatles looking like a cross between some Hasidic Jews and some Amish people.





No comments:

Post a Comment