Thursday 6 January 2011

Vous aimez le hip hop Français?

Avez-vous déjà écouté du hip-hop français? Didn't think so.

I have been a fan of French hip hop for a little while now. I have no clue what they are saying as my French is lets say médiocre. Sometimes though with music I do not think it is necessarily the words themselves that draw my attention to a song, but the melody or just the general feel. I feel that in mainland Europe people are much more open to another countries music. Here the only time we may ever have a foreign language song making it big is when it is a novelty song.


French hip hop can provide some of the most interesting and beautiful songs, case in point being Le Belle et le Bad Boy by Mc Solaar. The instrumental in itself is so melodic and different from anything I had ever heard before. 


The artist La Caution gained a worldwide audience when his song 'Thé à la Menthe' was used in Oceans 12. The song has a very interesting use of the accordion, a very under rated instrument may I say.


Other interesting bands include Hocus Pocus who French people go MENTAL for as I discovered whilst at a festival in Hungary where they were playing. I have never been asked if I like a band so much in my life, and never that much in a comical French accent ('Ocus pocas').


Profitez!


Mc Solaar - Le Belle et le Bad Boy




La Caution Thé à la Menthe




Hocus Pocus - Hip Hop



No comments:

Post a Comment